This layered berry breakfast jar will be the perfect start to your day.
When you make the decision to go vegan, nutrition becomes especially important to you. At first, you might worry about the stereotypical things like protein and iron (turns out there’s no need). Slowly, you find yourself falling down a rather delicious rabbit hole. Far from being boring, there are new and interesting ingredients to try at every turn.
Take schisandra berries, for example: they contain all five major flavours. Nibbling on one whole is an experience, and they make a surprisingly great tea. Schisandra berry tea has been used for thousands of years as a Chinese health tonic, and today I’m using it to make a chia pudding.
Speaking of teas, I couldn’t resist trying a herbal tea with a name like Shaman Spirit (above). Made with Damiana, Red Clover Calendula, Raspberry Leaf and Rose Petal; it makes a wonderfully smooth tea. The Shaman Spirit tea uplifts the senses and provides us with a deep sense of calm.
Today these wonderful teas are combined with a superfood muesli and dark maple syrup (rich in zinc, manganese and more), some chia seeds and a large handful of fresh, juicy berries. I got up especially early to do some yoga and meditation, easing the pressure of the everyday. Then I broke my fast. Not like a queen, or even a king. Like a freakin’ goddess.
I am so grateful to be able to work with Indigo Herbs again to bring you something that’s nutritious, delicious and (this time at least) just for me. I might be persuaded to share with the kids eventually – until then, they’ll have to make do with the Superfood Banana Almond Ice Lollies.
A layered berry breakfast jar with Indigo Herbs
This grounding layered breakfast jar is light, extremely nutritious and guilt free. Just perfect for after your morning yoga session or meditation – a great end to your morning power hour.
- Mixed berries of your choice (I used blueberries, strawberries)
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 tsp Indigo Herbs Schisandra berry tea
- 2 tbsp Indigo Herbs Shaman Spirit tea
- Vegan plain yoghurt of your choice
- Indigo Herbs Dark maple syrup (to taste)
- Indigo Herbs Organic superfood muesli
- Boil the schisandra berries in 250ml water for about 3 minutes. Strain and add dark maple syrup to sweeten.
- Stir your chia seeds into your strained schisandra tea and set aside for at least 15 minutes (now’s a good time to gather everything else).
- Make up a pot of Shaman Spirit tea as per the instructions and leave to steep while you make your breakfast jar.
- Fill your jar with layers of berries, chia pudding, yoghurt and granola however you fancy. I preferred to have a thin layer of yoghurt separating the chia and berry layers, finishing with a generous sprinkling of granola on top.
- The schisandra berries have an amazingly unique flavour. They’re great for a lightly sweetened tea, and I like to nibble on one or two at a time, but it’s better to leave them out of the chia pudding.
- Make the chia pudding overnight and assemble in the morning for the ultimate throw together breakfast.
- If you need something a bit more substantial, have a bowl of granola with the berries and yoghurt and save the chia pudding for after lunch.
Read next: 7 Vegan Breakfast In Bed Ideas
What would you have in your layered breakfast jar? Let me know in the comments!