Christmas just got a whole lot tastier.
Festive Microwave Chocolate Brownie Recipe
In the cold of winter, it feels good to have a nice, hot treat. Not all winter warmers are stews and soups, after all. One of our favourite warming treats is the humble microwave chocolate brownie. Over the years, it has become something of a tradition in our home. It’s hearty, warming and very filling!
For me, the festive chocolate flavour is chocolate and mint. Some people say that chocolate and orange is the flavour of the season. I’m not a massive lover of that combination myself, but I bet some orange essence and zest would go down a treat with this. Perhaps next year!
This recipe is a good one to get the kids measuring as it’s very forgiving. For smaller children, try halving the recipe as the portion size is quite large. Don’t be afraid to change up the sugar/xylitol mix, or even make it just xylitol! It’s just as sweet and much better for our teeth.
Be careful taking these out of the microwave – they’ll be very hot. Serve straight away with the vegan ice cream of your choice or with a vegan pouring cream. Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 30g plain flour
- 25g sugar and 25g xylitol (or one or the other, or whatever mix you fancy – just make it about 50g)
- 15g cocoa powder
- 60ml water
- 30ml vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 drops of peppermint essence
- crushed candy cane, to garnish (optional)
- Vegan vanilla ice cream or pouring cream
- Place a microwave safe mug on your digital scales and set to zero.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mug one at a time. Stir with a fork until there are no lumps left and the powders are evenly mixed.
- Measure out the water and oil in a jug then gradually add the wet ingredients to the mug, stirring with the fork the whole time.
- Microwave for about 1.5 minutes depending on the microwave – I tend to do one minute and then 15 second increments until it’s the consistency I like it.
- Top with a single scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of vegan pouring cream and sprinkle with crushed candy cane. Ho, ho, ho!
Yes, it’s as gorgeous as it looks! What would you put in your vegan microwave chocolate brownie?