I’ve always loved smoothies, but I’ve never been in love with them. They’ve always been a quick summer fling, soon to be forgotten about in place of soups and stews. They’re also very usually green. Whether mixed with kefir water or laced with booze, there’s always been spinach or kale in there somewhere.
Now that autumn is here, I have no time for that. I don’t need to be refreshed – I need a hug in a mug, and this hot apple pie smoothie is exactly that.
Disclosure: affiliate link*
About the recipe
This hot apple pie smoothie is an indulgent yet Earth friendly treat which could easily be a replacement for breakfast or a sweeter lunch. This smoothie isn’t quite Shane approved (the little rascal hasn’t eaten fruit since he was 2) but it’s been met with the seal of approval from everyone else in the house.
I’ve yet to try different fruits, but I’m sure swapping some or all of the apple for cherry or rhubarb would be amazing. We chose gala apples because they are usually quite small, but you could use whichever apple you prefer. If you need extra sweetness, try xylitol (great for teeth) or some brown rice malt syrup before sugar.
Rhian: Can we have this again tomorrow?
Caden: Mmmm, this is good!
Shane: No, I don’t like apples!
Hot apple smoothie recipe
- 1 gala apple
- 400ml oat milk
- 1 heaped tbsp cashew butter
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Cut apple into chunks and add all ingredients to the blender. I didn’t bother peeling or coring but that’s up to you!
- Blend until smooth.
- Heat up in the microwave or on the hob.
- Pour into your favourite mug. Enjoy topped with the best vegan squirty cream* and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- If you manage just one variation of this: please, please put a measure of Baileys Almande in it. You can thank me later.
- You could make this even easier by using apple juice, if you don’t mind the smoothie lacking the goodness eating actual fruit brings.
- For even more indulgence, you could gently brown the apples before blending.
If you love this recipe, you’ll love these:
- Cucumber, mint and lime kefir water smoothie
- Superfood banana almond smoothie ice lollies
- Baileys Almande freakshake
- The beginner’s guide to going vegan
- Exante vegan meal replacement shakes review
This hot apple smoothie will warm you from the inside out. What’s your favourite winter warmer recipe? Let me know in the comments!