With Pancake Day 2018 just around the corner, you need this recipe for the perfect vegan British-style pancakes.
Pancake Day has to be one of my favourite days of the year. When I was a child, I would marvel as my mum tossed the pancakes into the air, giggling when it didn’t go as planned.
I never really appreciated then how stressful Pancake Day can be. When I got my own three, I soon realised what three hungry kids stood behind me in a tiny kitchen with a very hot stove really felt like. Still, I never considered not doing it. A few years on, I’ve developed a technique.
Firstly, non-dairy milk and a chia seed egg or two make a wonderful batter that’s just as easy to whip up as regular pancake batter. Secondly, serve pancakes by the stack: nobody needs a queue of hungry children in the kitchen. Finally, set up a toppings station somewhere safe, if your children are old enough to top their own pancakes.
Despite not having a particularly sweet tooth, I’ve never understood the savoury pancake trend. Sure, I enjoyed the Crispy Pancakes of my youth, but I’ve never managed to recreate them. Spinach and ricotta? Get out of my pancakes! I like chocolate sauce, vegan cream (squirty or pouring) and fruit. I’m trying to be more seasonal, so this pancake day I’m thinking chocolate sauce, dark chocolate chip and blood orange.
The perfect vegan pancakes (British style)
These vegan pancakes are very close to the texture of the pancakes I remember as a child. The chia seed egg brings the mixture together without making the pancakes crunchy. I like them fried until they’re crisp around the edges yet soft on the inside.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil (or other oil)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3 cups non-dairy milk (I used cashew)
- 2tbsp chia seeds
- 7tbsp water
- Toppings! Whatever toppings you like.
- Mix the chia seeds and water together and set aside while you gather and measure out your other ingredients (about 5 minutes).
- In a blender, gradually add the flour to the non dairy milk while the blender is running.
- Add the chia “egg” mixture: it should be gloopy like egg white now.
- Using folded kitchen towel, brush a very hot frying pan with the rapeseed oil.
- Put the frying pan back on the heat and add 1/3 cup of the batter (or 1/2 cup if you prefer larger pancakes). Fry for a minute or two on each side. Slide off with a spatula.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the pancakes are cooked 🙂 Top with whatever you like.
- In Season Vegan: A Recipe Round-Up (February)
- A Grounding Layered Breakfast Jar With Shaman Spirit Tea
- 7 Vegan Breakfast In Bed Ideas
- Do You Need A Morning Power Hour?
- The Vegan Beauty Products Any Mum Will Love
Shop my vegan recipe book wishlist.
What are your favourite pancake fillings?