Your monthly guide to in-season, vegan eating. Easy, cheap and delicious, these recipes tick all of the boxes! In Season Vegan: February.
In Season Vegan: February
It’s the month of love! Do you have a romantic meals for two planned? We’re having vegan steak and purple sprouting broccoli!
There’s so much to love about February: the return of the sun, planning the garden, spending time with your loved ones and the winter frost thawing. This is the time of year I begin to genuinely look forward to summer. It starts to feel tangible.
Why you should be eating the seasons.
When food isn’t in season, it has to be forced in energy guzzling hothouses or shipped in from overseas. This isn’t only bad for our planet: the fruit and veg taste best when they are at their natural peak. It is widely believed that fruit and veg that is in season retains more of its nutritional value as it hasn’t spent weeks being transported across the globe.
In short: it tastes better, it’s better for our planet, it’s better for our bodies… and guess what? It’s often better for our wallets too.
What’s in season in February?
Here is my pick of this season’s vegan ingredients. I use Eat the Seasons for all my seasonal lists (non-vegan website).
Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, celeriac, chicory, jerusalem artichoke, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, parsnips, potatoes (maincrop), purple sprouting broccoli, salsify, shallots, swede, turnips
Bananas, blood oranges, clementines, kiwi fruit, lemons, oranges, passion fruit, pineapple, pomegranate, rhubarb
The best vegan recipes that are in season in February.
These are my top picks this month: a few of them I’ve already tried. The rest are on my list to make this month. Each recipe is warming, comforting and perfect to see you through winter and beyond.
- Looking for a new sprouts recipe? Look no further than Healthy Living James’s Roasted Sprouts with Oranges & Walnuts. Never mind that it isn’t Christmas. You need this in your belly now.
- A Green Apple and Kale smoothie is a great way to get greens into those who don’t like them. Tonight, I’m having steamed kale with my vegan haggis, but the leftovers are going in a smoothie! (The kale, not the haggis, obviously)
- This Kung Pao Cauliflower from Vegan Richa looks perfect to warm up with. The recipe is for finger bites, but I bet it would be just as delicious over rice!
- My easy vegan veg curry is on the menu as always! Last month cauliflower curry went down a storm. Yummy! Cauliflower biryani has been calling me for a few weeks now. I have to make it! As soon as I do, I’ll put the recipe here.
- This Purple Sprouting Broccoli with Clementine and Chilli knocks two in season plants off your list in one. I may well end up serving this with vegan steak as I mentioned in my vegan romantic meals post.
Are you eating the seasons? What’s on your meal plan this month? Let me know in the comments!