This gorgeous vegan chilli is my go-to winter warmer right now.
Christmas is over with, and the sun is returning, but has anyone else noticed just how much colder it’s getting? The heating is on more, and some mornings I’ve needed gloves outside. Last week, I actually wore fingerless gloves inside too!
When it’s cold, you can throw on a jumper, slippers and gloves; but nothing beats the bliss of being warmed from the inside out. Just the feeling of finishing your food and sitting back, maybe slightly too full, belly warm and a smile on your face after a truly delicious meal.
Cooking for my family is one of my favourite things. I will happily spend a few hours in the kitchen, batch cooking a meal and making sure the sauce is just so. It’s truly a joy when the people you love most are making appreciative noises into their plates as they wolf down your latest creation.
The sweet potato and butter bean combination came around after realising that despite my best efforts, the kids were NOT going to take to kidney beans. I can’t say I blame them! Often I put in a bit of chicory powder and some coffee liqueur to take the flavour to the next level. I’m itching to try some of Ian’s coffee tequila in the next batch, but I suspect he may not be keen – so I think I might have to buy some of my own to try!
It looks like a long list of ingredients, but don’t be put off. That’s just me standing at the cupboard thinking “I’ll try a bit of this, a bit of that, some of those…” until I get the flavour I’m hungry for.
Vegan Vegetable Chilli with Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Butter Bean
Ingredients (serves 6 hungry people)
- 1 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- A generous sprinkling of cayenne powder
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp quinoa
- 1 tin butter beans, drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tube tomato puree
- 300ml water
- 400g vegan mince (I used Tesco’s own brand)
- 1 heaped teaspoon yeast extract
- 1 square very dark chocolate (I used 80%)
- salt and pepper
- lime juice, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or rapeseed)
- In a large pan (I use a stock pot for batch cooking), fry the onions in the oil for about 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the carrot and sweet potato and gently saute for 15 minutes with the lid on, shaking the pan every few minutes.
- Add the spices and the mince, leaving the lid on for a few more minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients: the puree, the water, the chopped tomatoes, the beans. Bring to a simmer before adding the quinoa.
- Add the flavouring ingredients one at a time: the yeast extract, the chocolate, the lime juice and seasoning. Taste regularly to see if you need to add anything else.
- That’s it! Serve with tortilla wraps, brown rice or a nice jacket potato and some salad.
What will you pair your chilli with? See more vegan recipes here.