You won’t believe how realistic this vegan egg mayo is!
I never really liked real egg mayo – there was something about it that just made me shudder. That’s probably why I took so long to try a vegan version – it was never really something I missed. I’ve made vegan breakfast egg muffins, and vegan tofu scramble (neither of which I’ve put on the blog for some reason) but I’d never tried to make an egg mayo.
That all changed when I found a readily-available mayo that was worth it – the Follow Your Heart Vegannaise. Since stopping using mayo in plastic bottles to try and reduce my plastic use, finding a decent vegan mayo has been especially hard. The brand I’d resorted to tasted like cardboard with a hint of vinegar and was very expensive!
This vegan egg mayo ticks every box for me: it keeps well, the batch makes enough for a small army, it tastes good and is suitable for nut free lunchboxes. As ever, it has had varied responses from the kids, but it’s easily customisable. Caden loves his with some ketchup and I love it with hot sauce and spicy flavours.
Easy Vegan Egg Mayo Recipe
This vegan egg mayo is creamy, peppery and has a hint of egg flavouring thanks to my newest secret ingredient: black salt! Also known as kala namak, this salt has a high sulfur content, giving it that eggy flavour.
- 1 394g pack of firm tofu
- 1 1/2 tbps watercress or other finely chopped greens
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- Pepper, to taste
- Black salt, to taste
- Drain the tofu, pressing lightly before placing in a bowl.
- Break the tofu up using a fork until it’s a scramble-like consistency.
- Add the mayo, watercress, pepper and black salt.
- That’s it! Spread on crackers, fill jacket potatoes and sandwiches, whatever you like!
- Vegan egg mayo is a perfect picnic or party food.
- You can add whatever you like to your vegan egg mayo – we’ve tried ketchup, sriracha and sweet chilli sauce and they all taste great!
- Vegan egg mayo keeps well – our batch lasted about a week before we finished it.
What would you add to your vegan egg mayo?