Tofu is fast becoming one of our favourite foods. When I first started making the switch to veganism, I bought a block of tofu intending to use it and it ended up going off in the fridge. This happened a few times, until I just stopped buying it altogether.
About the recipe
It wasn’t until my then partner Ian encouraged me to try tofu from a Chinese takeaway that I realised it wasn’t tasteless, slimy rubbish after all. Now my sons have tofu sandwiches for school and I rarely go longer than a week without eating it myself.
We go through two or three blocks of tofu between us a week and this tofu scramble is the easiest way to enjoy it. We love it as part of a vegan brunch – now that I think about it, we need a post on that soon! For now, you’ll have to make do with this recipe for tofu scramble.
Tofu scramble is an incredibly versatile, healthy and delicious dish which will take on almost any flavour you throw at it. I coould make this for breakfast, lunch and dinner and would feel like I’m having a different meal every time.
This recipe is just for a simple egg-like scramble with some extra greens, but Mexican, Indian and Chinese flavours all work well here. Throw in some of your favourite veggies and spices and see what you end up with!
Rhian: Not again… you know I don’t like tofu! *emo wail*
Vegan Tofu Scramble Recipe
- One block firm, organic tofu (I use Cauldron)
- A generous pinch of kala namak (black salt)
- Chopped veggies of your choice (optional)
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Pepper and seasoning
- Fry up your veggies – I like diced onion, garlic, chilli and some kind of leafy green.
- Drain the tofu then break it up into scrambly bits. This is quickest using a masher first, then a fork.
- Fry the tofu in with the veggies until the tofu is warmed through, season to taste and take off the heat.
- Stir through the kala namak immediately before serving – the eggy flavour quickly dissipates if you add it while the food is on the heat.
- Mix it up – I like to fry some fresh chilli in with mine, but I can only do that when I’m just making it for myself! Tofu scramble takes on all sorts of flavours well, so don’t be afraid to experiment.
- Serve with toast, hash browns, beans, mushrooms and tomatoes for a lovely cooked breakfast.
Love tofu? You’ll also love these posts!