Last weekend we basked in glorious sunshine for a several days – the length of an average British summer. One thing I miss about my old diet is a good old BBQ – not so much the meat (but I won’t deny it tasted good at the time) but coming together with friends and family to have a good time in the sun. This year I’ve decided I’m definitely holding a vegetarian BBQ. These are the recipes I’ve chosen.
Vegetarian BBQ Ideas.
- Courgette and halloumi skewers from BBC GoodFood. These look like heaven to me!
- Memphis style dry-rub tofu from The Chubby Vegetarian. This is *the* recipe to get people onto the wonder that is tofu.
- Vegetarian sausages and burgers. The No-Bull Burger and the mighty Shroomdog have to be my favourites here.
- Grilled sweetcorn with coriander, chilli and lime butter from All Recipes. Use a vegan butter substitute if desired.
- Coleslaw, potato salad, pasta salad, houmous, crudites and a leafy green salad. Bonus points if you use locally grown, seasonal veggies!
- Vegan pink slaw. Because, pink slaw.
I’m not going to lie, I’m not a massive dessert person so desserts may not even feature at my BBQ. If they do, it’ll probably be something very simple like a range of vegan ice-creams and ice lollies to cool off with. My Vegan Supermarket has a great list to choose from. If only Ice Green did take home tubs of their vegan ice creams… their ice cream is much, much better than the supermarket offerings. I can’t wait to see them again at Green Gathering!
Well, that was even easier to decide than I thought it would be! I can’t wait to arrange a vegetarian BBQ for my friends and family. When I do, I’ll be sure to post a write-up here.
What are your favourite vegan and vegetarian BBQ foods? Let me know in the comments. Don’t forget to like, share and pin!
Want more vegan and vegetarian recipes and ideas? Check out my recipe section.
Photos by Linda McCartney, Petra Cigale and Ice Green.